Inspired by Elle Decor’s list of 10 things every WOMAN needs to have in her home, I offer these suggestions for the testosterone set. Doesn’t matter if you’re gay or straight, partnered or happily single: as a modern man, I believe these are must-haves if you want to move beyond typical “masculine” decor.
1. A room with black walls. If you’re going for tried and true and decorating with neutrals, paint one room black for punch. It will work with the other spaces, but aren’t you more interesting than beige on beige?
2. A room that ISN’T black or light neutral. See how masculine Aubergine can be? Navy also counts as a color, Gentle Readers, and it’s second to none when it comes to manliness.
3. Large-scale photographs. Solo or in a group, they’re edgy and sophisticated.
4. Wallpaper. Somewhere. It doesn’t even have to be a pattern; you could do a texture. Because you can get away with it. Because you’re that sophisticated.
5. A custom-upholstered chair or sofa. Bonus points if it’s a vintage piece.
6. A bar cart. Even if you don’t drink alcohol, a bar at the ready shows that you’re a thoughtful host who’s always up for a cozy conversation with guests.
7. A dog. Or a cat, or a demanding houseplant. It’s good to be responsible for another living being.
Go forth and decorate, men! And if you get stuck, you know where to find me.
Annie Elliott is an expert in curated interiors, brilliant color palettes, and telling people what to do in the nicest way possible. Be sure and take a look at our “One Room, Four Seasons” photo spread in the April 27 Washington Post Magazine!