I went to the Transformer Gallery‘s annual auction and party last night (bossy color helped sponsor the event), and it was SO MUCH fun! Today my feet hurt (4″ heels will do that) and I’m a little hoarse from yelling over the music, but my soul is full.
You know why? Because the whole night was a big fat reminder that ART CAN BE FUN. Plus, where else could I see a dapper gentleman donning a captain’s hat and a white sequined jacket with legos stuck to the front? That was a fellow attendee, Gentle Readers, not a picture on the wall ;)
Art can be fun. And if a piece itself isn’t particularly whimsical, one way to make it so is to hang it somewhere unexpected.
Here are some fun places to hang art other than over the fireplace.
1. Under the fireplace. Or, at least, under the mantel.
2. In a powder room. It can be just as fun as wallpapering. Or better yet, do both!
3. On the face of a bookcase.
4. Under or on the stairs. Actually, everything about this picture is delightfully unexpected!!
5. On tabletops. We do forget that a small painting can be effective in a tabletop vignette. Using an easel is extra nice.
I challenge you, Gentle Readers, to find an unexpected spot in your house for art. You have one, I know it.
Bossy color | Annie Elliott interiors is a design firm based in Washington, DC. Annie’s design work and decorating insights have appeared in such publications as Better Homes & Gardens, HGTV Magazine, The New York Times, The Washington Post, Bethesda Magazine, and Washingtonian Magazine.